Saturday, November 29, 2014

Mark Twain Wrap-up '14

Guess what we woke up to this morning? SNOW! A whole inch of it:) It has remained below freezing all day today but there has been no further precipitation.

I felt especially badly for the girl at Fairways whose till was right in front front of the open set of double doors. I also felt badly after I asked her, concerned, if she had had a nasty fall (resulting in what I thought was a telltale bruise on one side of her face), and nope, it was a birthmark!



The Ring of Brodgar in the Orkney Islands- way,way North Scotland! Photo courtesy of Monica L.
image not displayed

How did you enjoy reading Mark Twain? 

I really enjoyed reading Tom Sawyer. I found it to be a nice, short, light read. There was a nice combination of adventurousness, fearlessness and innocence in Tom and his friends. The adults in this book were an important part of the storyline but I'm glad the reader gets to stay in Tom's world and gets to know the town, school, streets, vacant lots, forests, graveyards, etc, from his point of view.

I'd love to hear your thoughts!!!

2 comments:

  1. I read Huckleberry Finn. I sort of wish I had read Tom Sawyer first, as the book spoke a few times of events that happened in Tom Sawyer. It was an interesting book, getting inside a young boy's head. Huck is quite a likable character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading Huckleberry Finn and joining him and Jim (and others) on their big rafting adventure. There were some pretty interesting characters in this book!!! I was specifically amazed at the white/black, free/slave differences between them all but realize that that was the way people lived and believed in the south during that time period. It’s hard for me to imagine that anyone would ever think that because someone is a black slave that they wouldn’t have the ability to love and miss their family...

    ReplyDelete